?

Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

THE PAXTON CONUNDRUM, part seventeen!

When we last left our hero, a daring helicopter escape from the police station had turned into a desperate battle for survival in a damaged chopper! Managing to put the wounded bird down in a North Portland park, you were able to cut the unconscious Bradley -- the only link you have to your missing (presumed dead) sister -- free of the wreck and get to a safe distance before it exploded.

But you're wounded. He's wounded. And the emergency crews are on their way.

THIS IS ...



The sirens are getting louder, and you realize you don't have the time or even the strength to haul Bradley away from here. He's lost a lot of blood, more than you, and you don't think you could wake him even if you tried.

You briefly consider leaving him and running for it, but then you'll never know what happened to your sister.

Realizing you only have one option available to you, you pull the pistol from your belt and quickly dig a shallow hole with your hands in the shadow of a large oak tree. The ground is soft and you're able to create a shallow indention in the soil fairly quickly, and soon you're shoveling fallen leaves over the hole to conceal it.

Glancing around, the sirens getting louder and louder, you take two quick strides and pick up a large, unusually shaped branch from the ground and set it on top of the spot where you buried the gun. You study it critically for a moment, but you don't have time for anything better. You just hope the emergency crews keep people away from here and that some kid doesn't find the gun.

Looking around some more, you see a few people staggering to their feet a few meters away, obviously having been knocked to the ground by the explosion. Hefting Bradley over your shoulder again, you creep closer and then drop to the ground a little ways away from the others.

Just before the emergency crews descend upon you, you remember that while your injury could be explained away by flying debris, Bradley's injury was a gunshot wound. But then it's too late, and you're on a stretcher, in an ambulance, at the hospital. Somewhere along the way someone gives you a shot of something, and you pass out.

When you wake, you don't know how much time has passed, but your hand has been stitched up. You feel groggy, no doubt a side effect from the sedative, but much stronger, too. You realize you have an IV in your arm.

Your bed is surrounded by curtains on three sides, and you hear voices.

"Was there anyone in the helicopter?"

"The police aren't saying."

"Did he maybe crawl away from the crash and then pass out?"

"Could be. He was the only one at the scene with injuries not related to the crash."

Damnit. They'd discovered Bradley's gunshot wound.

"Are the police on their way?"

"Yeah, they should be along any minute."

Damnit.

"Well, get security over here in the meantime."

Damnit!

This poll is closed.

Security's on the way! The cops aren't far behind! What do you do??

Tear the curtains aside, hoist Bradley over your shoulder, and run for it
3(42.9%)
Intercept the security guard, overpower him, and get his uniform
1(14.3%)
Slip away before the cops show up and save yourself
0(0.0%)
Grab a hostage and demand they let you and Bradley leave
1(14.3%)
Sneak down to the basement and shut down power to the hospital; escape with Bradley in the confusion
2(28.6%)

Tags:

Comments

( 1 comment — Leave a comment )
theemdash
May. 18th, 2011 08:12 pm (UTC)
I DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ TODAY SO I SELECTED ONE AT RANDOM. I'LL CATCH UP TOMORROW.
( 1 comment — Leave a comment )